Sunday, May 10, 2009

Potential

As I've previously described, my life goal is to save the world in some small way. It's impossible to explain, but I feel an obligation, an impulse, a desire to help people in any way that I can. I don't plan on taking a Superman approach to saving the world, but I am not joking when I say that I want to devote my life to helping others. Often times, I find myself in conversations with friends who had, at least for that day, had enough with people. I agreed with them to a point; people can be exhausting, disheartening, ignorant, and even cruel. However, I explained to them just why I believe in the goodness of man.

Surprisingly, this sentiment isn't one inspired by God, or whatever higher power you believe in. This isn't a religious obligation to love Man, or even a spiritual connection. This feeling is instead rooted in the light that I see emanate from every person that I have ever come in contact with.

This light isn't an aura that I can read, nor is it even visible. I can't even get close to describing what I feel, but I truly believe that every person carries this light. This light, as I try to describe it, is human potential to better the world, even through the small acts in life.

People ask me what it is that propels me to accept people, what it is that grants me the firm belief in Man's inherent goodness, and the root of this belief lies in this light. Every human's capacity to love, capacity to care, inspires me every single day. It is too easy to focus on the bad things that we do, on accident or on purpose. However, if you take the effort to focus on the beauty of mankind's capability rather than deficiency, it is impossible not to have faith in Man.

This light, no matter how dull it shines, proves in my mind and in my heart that every person is born with the ability to change the world for the better, and I am not exaggerating. Each small act of kindness that we partake in every day has the capability to change the world. By providing someone without many friends that much needed support, you are changing the world. By smiling to a passerby, you can sway their temperament. By taking the time to lend your shoulder or your ear, you can help someone find their faith in humanity once again.

It takes one person to degrade someone's faith and optimism, but in my opinion, it takes only one person to rebuild it.

This message that I'm trying to relay to you now is the same message that I would provide for any one of my friends. Think of it as an obligation and a chain reaction. Changing the world is not as difficult as you might think. In order to change the world, you must inspire others to change the world as well, and I plan on dedicating my life to this cause.

I leave you this simple message to inspire you, and to provide you with the option of belief. I'm not expecting you to believe or understand every word I say, but I hope that you will go out sometime in the week that you read this to live a day of positivity and of compassion. Sometimes, that's the hardest thing to do when you'd rather wallow in disappointment or complain about all that's gone wrong in your life; however, I believe in you, and I believe in every person. There is nothing stopping you from grasping your potential, so if you haven't started yet, why not now?

L. Soleil

1 comment:

  1. I like your sentiments, we have to leave the world a BETTER place - GIVE more than we TAKE (since the greedy won't, we have to offset them!)

    Keep it up, like the nice simple clean design here as well!!
    my home: http://wmsinclair.blogspot.com
    metaphysics: http://bibledecoded.blogspot.com
    movies: http://worldsbestfilms.blogspot.com
    politics, rants: http://nationalrage.blogspot.com

    peace! fight the good fight -- Jose

    ReplyDelete